A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
“Thank you from our family for helping us during our dental emergency. Amie called you when our son’s front top permanent tooth was knocked out on a Sunday afternoon, and thanks to you for answering your phone and giving us advice he will hopefully get to keep his tooth until old enough for an implant. Words can’t express how thankful we are! Thank you a million times over.”Paula D.
“I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your accommodating me by solving my dental problem while I was visiting family recently. Not only did you see me on short notice but applied your expert dentistry professionally, painlessly and perfectly! In addition, your assistant and reception staff were equally competent and pleasantly accommodating. Imagine: A visit to the dentist was a pleasant, enjoyable experience. Perhaps the Haligonian hospitality and friendliness has simply transferred to CO and your business :)”John
“I just wanted to send a quick note thanking you for all your help over the past few months with my lower front tooth. The flipper is working great as the temporary solution. I look forward to seeing you over the summer after having the implant placed.”Mike H.
“Thanks for cementing my tooth. You were very gentle. It feels better.”Karson – age 8
“Thank you so much for fixing my tooth this morning. I really appreciate you taking the time so I didn’t have to go to school with it broken on Monday. We are so lucky to have such a great, kind dentist. Thank you!”Maya Y.
“Thank you for taking such great care of me. You really went above and beyond on a Sunday by seeing me at your office when I was having such severe tooth pain. Your extraordinary care didn’t go unnoticed. Thank you for being an amazing dentist and caregiver.”Stephanie W.
“Thank you so much for your patience and kindness. You made my experience with a dentist the best I’ve ever had. I appreciate everything you did to make me comfortable. I would recommend your office to everyone!”Melissa B.
“I wanted to thank you for the excellent care you have given me over the years. I feel so fortunate to have found you as a dentist. You are always understanding and incredibly patient with my questions. You also always go out of your way to make sure my pain is more than adequately managed and that my anxiety is kept under control. I think it is amazing that you are always smiling and friendly in spite of having what I’m sure can be a stressful job. I am not surprised that you are so busy. Thanks for everything!”Kelly T.
“Thanks so much for taking such good care of me, especially since it was after hours. You are always a calm and reassuring presence and your caring and compassion is exemplary. I truly appreciate your exemplary dental care.Cindy A.
“Thank you for being such a fantastic dentist. Your professionalism and the entire quality of your staff make dental care easy and as painless as possible. your dedication to your craft is evident in your work and I feel very lucky to be your patient. Thanks for being awesome!”Rebecca L.